Bass Harbor Lighthouse / CC BY-SA 4.0 / Chandra Hari
Exploring coastal Maine in 1604, Samuel de Champlain renames the area Isle de Mont Desert. The land will not stay in French hands and is eventually ceded to England. The first recorded summer visitors come to the island in 1855 and in 1901, the Maine Legislature grants a charter to acquire land in the public interest. Thirteen years later, 5,000 acres have been donated. Charles Eliot, his father and George B. Dorr (the Father of Acadia National Park) advocate for a park. Woodrow Willson creates Sieur de Monts National Monument on July 8 1916. The National Park Service takes over administration. Then, on February 26, 1919, to honor the Marquis de Lafayette, the park is renamed Lafayette National Park. Changing names yet again, Acadia National Park begins welcoming visitors on January 19,1929.