Off-campus access to most OSU Library resources may be obtained through these routes:
1. Attempting to access an OSU Library resource through the OSU Library catalog from off campus should result in a prompt for your name.# and password, which in turn will permit off-campus access. OR
2. Many publishers/vendors permit access directly from their site with OSU authentication. If OSU holds a subscription to a resource and if the publisher/vendor provides direct access, proxy authentication can be achieved by either:
a. Applying an OSU Libraries' Bookmarklet within your browser, which you can selectively use when you wish to authenticate while visiting a publisher/vendor's site. Information on using a Bookmarklet
b. Placing the following string at the beginning of the vendor’s URL: http://proxy.lib.ohio-state.edu/login?url=http://[enter vendor’s URL here].
For both a and b, above, users will be prompted for their OSU username.# and password before being sent to the publisher/vendor’s site. This prompt will allow users to have authenticated off-campus access through the vendor/publisher's site.
A note to VPN users: VPN authentication, will not necessarily provide authentication for most library resources (unless used with the Bookmarklet or if the user is working remotely through an OSU desktop).
This depends on a few factors:
First, does the publisher offer the textbooks as an eBook? If not, we typically cannot make it available on-line due to copyright restrictions.
Second, if it is available as an eBook, is the license restricted to one or a few users at a time? We can still make it available on-line, but access is somewhat limited, particularly if you have a large class size.
Third, is the cost prohibitive? In my experience, cost is usually quite reasonable, but in rare instances the cost may exceed the funds we have available. This typically only happens in highly technical fields, and I have personally only experienced this once.
If the textbook is available as an eBook and has a multi-user concurrent license, then we typically are very happy to purchase it and make education just a little bit more affordable! We just need to know the textbook information approximately four weeks prior to the start of classes.
Google Scholar provides an option to use the OSU "Find It" button. This is handy for off-campus access because it automatically routes you through the proxy. Steps to use this option in Google Scholar:
1. Go to Google Scholar
2. Click on the "hamburger" menu button (top left).
3. Click on Settings and then on Library Links.
4. Search for Ohio State University and then (when it appears) put a check mark in the box for OSU. Click "Save."
We offer both quick answers and consultations.
Call Us 614-292-OSUL (6785), ext. 3.
Chat with Us for immediate virtual assistance.
Email Us We monitor email questions during office hours Monday - Friday, and strive to return all inquiries within one business day.
Search our FAQ for quick help any time of day.